March 22, 2005

Breaking News: Judge Won't Help Terri

CNN and other news sources are reporting that U.S. District Judge James Whittemore, the federal judge who received Terri Schindler-Schiavo's case thanks to congressional legislation, has refused to reinsert Terri's feeding tube. The Schindlers will now appeal to the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals in Atlanta, GA. What I find ironic is that the hope of saving Terri Schindler-Schiavo's life has now been placed partially in the hands of a man I neither trust nor respect, Judge William Pryor, the former attorney general of Alabama and President Bush's temporary appointment to the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals. I pray that he and the other judges on the appellate court will make the right decision. And I don't know how his making the right decision will impact my opinion of him; I guess we'll find out if he does it.

If the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals does not reinsert Terri's feeding tube, I presume that the Schindlers can appeal one final time to the Supreme Court. I think the justices will have a hard time not taking this case now, but I have a feeling that we would be better off if they didn't. I have a feeling that the entire judicial branch of our government has decided to embed itself so deeply into the pro-choice and pro-euthanasia camps that they will never save Terri Schindler-Schiavo's life. They may only make things worse for other incapacitated people by setting disturbing pro-euthanasia precedents. Our friend over at Moloch Now must be incredibly pleased with the American judicial system today.

I don't know what to say anymore. I don't know when or why it became okay to kill people in this country whenever it becomes convenient for us, and to do it by any means we deem necessary. We can kill preborn human beings from the moment of conception right up until going into labor, and now we can euthanize incapacitated people by starving and dehydrating them to death without their consent. And the judicial system is going to say, in effect: "Okie dokie." Never in my life have I felt such a sense of despair that the United States political system is doomed, that it will never again be a force for good in the world (if it ever was), that it will forever set these dangerous precedents which lead us day by day closer to Nazi Germany. I don't know what to say other than that the government seems more hopeless to me today than it ever has before.

Responsorial Psalm 71

I will sing of your salvation.

In you, O LORD, I take refuge;
let me never be put to shame.
In your justice rescue me, and deliver me;
incline your ear to me, and save me.

I will sing of your salvation.

Be my rock of refuge,
a stronghold to give me safety,
for you are my rock and my fortress.
O my God, rescue me from the hand of the wicked.

I will sing of your salvation.

For you are my hope, O LORD;
my trust, O God, from my youth.
On you I depend from birth;
from my mother's womb you are my strength.

I will sing of your salvation.

My mouth shall declare your justice,
day by day your salvation.
O God, you have taught me from my youth,
and till the present I proclaim your wondrous deeds.

I will sing of your salvation.