August 21, 2005

Nachamu, Nachamu Ami...

Console, console my people says your G-d... (Isaiah 40).

David Bogner (Treppenwitz) reminded me that yesterday was the Shabbat (Sabbath) following Tisha B'Av, the commemoration of many of the tragedies that have befallen the Jewish People, especially the destruction of both the first and the second Temple, and the subsequent exile of the Jewish People from their homeland. As readers of my personal blog know, I have Jewish ancestry, so in a sense I feel that I am praying today in solidarity with a People that is in some sense my own. I would ask all of our readers to remember Tisha B'Av today at Mass and other religious services, and to pray that the Jewish People (and all people) will be able to establish safe home for themselves and for the generations to come. Let us pray in solidarity with one another: "Console, console my people..."

(Cross-posted to Here I Stand).