November 08, 2005

A Willy Pete eating away at our souls

I don't know what to say anymore about the war in Iraq. I just cry a lot.

I cried through the twelve years of sanctions that killed over one million Iraqis. I cried when we invaded. I cried when I read in The Lancet that 100,000 Iraqis had died as a result of that invasion. I cried when my brother-in-law was killed serving in the U.S. Army outside of Mosul last March. I cried when I read Will Willion's prayer for the 2000th U.S. soldier killed on October 26th. And I cried again today as I read this article in The Independent that more evidence is emerging of our use of phosophorus bombs -- Willy Petes -- in Fallujah. Saddam gassed Halabja, we've now gassed Fallujah.

There is no such thing as a moral occupation. The people we send are indeed good, moral men and women. But dominating another people is simply incompatible with loving your neighbor as yourself.