January 29, 2006

Hamas Resources

Michelle Strausbaugh's internet service is down until Wednesday, but she posted a few resources on Hamas and their sweeping victory in the recent Palestinian election to her own blog, Behind the Surface. I don't think she'd mind if I reproduced them here for our readers.

Churches for Middle East Peace has a lot of information on the Israeli-Palestinian peace process, including information on Hamas.

EI: The Electronic Intifada has widespread coverage of the Hamas victory, not to mention an abundance of other resources.

Miftah also has information on the Hamas election, including why the Palestinians' democratic choice must be respected.

Ha'aretz has a blog post on "Introducing Hamas - the new Likud."

As our readers have likely observed, Michelle and I have significantly different views when it comes to the new Palestinian-Hamas government, and this is probably the most serious disagreement that has ever arisen between the SRS writers. Believe it or not, we actually do live in near-perfect harmony most of the time. ;) For my part, I would like to say that I may have been a bit hasty in absolutely condemning the results of the Palestinian election. While I am still uncomfortable with the prospects that a Hamas government raises for Middle Eastern peace, I look forward to hearing more of what Michelle has to say on the subject since she is pursuing a Master's Degree in the Israel/Palestine Conflict and I, frankly, am not.