March 08, 2006

International Women's Day

I have to admit, I've been struggling with the relationship the Church has had with women. I struggle with the lack of Church Mothers along with Church Fathers. I struggle with what feels like misogyny when I read certain portions of St. Paul. I struggle with decisions the Vatican continues to make about women's bodies when it will never have to live with the consequences of those decisions. I struggle with its refusal to include women in that decision-making process.

Of course, when I read the Gospels, I see Christ not denying the better portion to women. Refusing to condemn women who would otherwise be stoned. Talking to women -- and of a despised ethnic group at that -- like equals. Appearing to women after his resurrection before his male disciples.

And despite my struggles, I know that the Church honors as its greatest follower a woman (as opposed to the football players I saw venerated in my evangelical church as a child). That it works to liberate women from many of the evils that they continue to suffer from to this day such as slavery, poverty, and war.

So, on this International Women's Day, I encourage you to take a wander over to vegankid where she and almost 200 other bloggers are participating in Blog Against Sexism Day. There's plenty of food for thought. And prayer. And action.